Thursday, October 16, 2008

Back to School Night!

So tonight was Back to School night! I was asked by my master teacher to give a little introduction about myself and I agreed. I was so nervous to stand in front of parents and introduce myself as a student teacher who would be teaching their kids in the second semester. I know I look young (Ok, I am young) and I bet they were thinking How could someone so young be a teacher!? I was more nervous to talk to the parents than I am teaching the students! It is difficult being so young and telling the parents that I will be taking over the class and teaching their child. I think that I did come off professional and I hope my excitement to teach their child was evident.

I am a very hands on, interactive, get up and move around teacher. I like the simulations, debates and role playing. I think that the students will remember the material more by acting it out and experiencing it rather than sitting, listening to a lecture and writing notes. Students need to be involved and feel like they are living through historical events. And this allows for the student to relate to the event because they were able to experience it and go through the motions that historical figures also did.

Overall, I was really nervous and kind of dreading standing up and talking to the parents, but I am so glad that I did and I had fun doing it. I think it showed them that I really care and I am excited to be involved in the school and to soon take over the class.

It is amazing how busy I am. I am at school until 12:30, go home to eat, go back to school for tennis until around 5:00, come home and do homework. And twice a week I have class in Irvine! It has been crazy with all the assignments also. For one class our big assignment is creating 6 weeks worth of lesson. It may not sound like a lot, but this means one for each day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ect) and must include any power points, lecture notes, pictures, handouts anything that is to be used in the lesson for that day we have to include in the lesson plan. So it is a lot of work. On top of that I have classroom management assignments, assessment assignments, and a big "test" called the TPA that I MUST pass in order to student teach. So it is a lot of work and it takes a lot of time. I really do like it. Although I stress out a lot (We went to a Hockey game the other night, awesome by the way, and I brought my homework. Rylee was embarrassed) I really do enjoy being in the classroom and working with students and teaching them.

I am having so much fun helping out with the tennis team also!! The girls are so much fun and so excited to play. I love it. I am starting to make them run and pushing them and they are all for it. There is a little but of complaining but overall they enjoy being pushed and working hard. It is so much fun and exciting to watch them succeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you think u feel weird...my mom was your age teaching sex ed to high school kids in harlem! ouch