Thursday, October 23, 2008

First Full Lesson

Today I taught my first full class period. I began by leading a review called Civil War baseball in 2nd period. However, I soon realized that it wasn’t going how I had planned. The game required me to focus too much on one group of students and the other groups grew disinterested. And I knew that my supervisor was going to be coming to my 4th period class to watch me! Needless to say, I was very worried when I walked out of 2nd period. Between the 2nd and 4th class I did have some time to think and bounce ideas off one of my friends who is also student teaching at the same school (so helpful, I love it) and I altered my review. I came back to 4th period ready to go with some modifications. I changed the game so that all teams were involved and one “batter” from each team would come to the board to answer a question. If their team got the answer right, they moved to first base and so on. If they got it wrong they got a strike and three strikes all their batters from the bases. The students loved it and were so into the game. They would be yelling out answers and helping each other. It was awesome. My supervisor also told me that he was proud of me and really enjoyed the lesson. Had it been graded I would have gotten a 9 out of 10 which is awesome because the 2nd period didn’t go so great. I am so glad that I altered the lesson and just wish I had been able to do the same lesson in my 2nd period. But at least now I know what will work and I can make it better next time. Sometimes you have to fail to succeed

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I cannot believe you're teaching! It's so crazy but I know you're doing just fabulous! I hope your students aren't too hasty and full of attitude!